Sunday, October 16, 2005

This should make for an interesting day...

Well before the BC Federation of Labour announced their plan for a major protest and walkout , I was planning on going to Victoria for a rally on Monday. I thought, hey, I'm not working anyway, why not go to the rally. It's a way to support teachers and hey, I get a day in Victoria, too. Now it's turned into quite the day of protest. All unionized workers in Greater Victoria are being asked to walk off the job on Monday to protest Bill 12 (the bill that imposed a contract on teachers and set the satge for this strike being deemed illegal). There's gonig to be a huge march and then rally on the lawn of the legislature. What madness am I walking into here?

It's good to see that teachers have so much support. This is only the first step that the BC Fed has planned. There will be rotating walkouts like this around the province all week to rally support for teachers and to put pressure on the government to get to the bargaining table.

Unfortunately, it looks like this is going to get uglier before it gets better.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A note to those who know me:

If I tell you that I do'nt want to talk about the strike, please don't push it. I feel like it just goes around and around and around, and I get sick of talking about the same thing, particularly on weekends. Some separation between personal and professional life is necessary sometimes. It sucks being on strike, especially because everyone has an opinion that they are more than willing to share with you. Usually that's fine, but sometimes I just have had enough and want to talk about something else. How 'bout them fall colours? Aren't they amazing???

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, all I can say it doesn't surprise me as to how ugly things are going to get. I mean you have someone in power who is more than willing to break previous collective agreements (or make up his own without collective talks) and is willing to pass a "law" (if you want call it that) to strip people of their previously legal rights. I'd say the writing was on the wall back then. The sad thing in all of this is that I seriously believe you will have teachers quitting the profession or irrevocably changed with regards to their outlook of teaching because of this event. If Gordo doesn't succeed in destroying the education system, he will most definitely come close to succeeding in destroying the spirit and community of it.

And yes the fall colours are beautiful, especially on those days like today, when the weather cooperates shining the suns brilliance upon them.

9:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about them Canucks!

9:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home